Connecting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connecting

Welcome to the HelpingHoarders.com discussion forums.
A non-judgemental community for support and sharing

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  HH Main SiteHH Main Site  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Information Hoarding

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Information Hoarding Empty
PostSubject: Information Hoarding   Information Hoarding EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm

OK, so I used to save newspapers -- alot of them. Not so many that they were piled up in huge stacks. So, maybe it wasn't so many after all. I mostly hoarded clothing, toys, and all other household things...books are hard, too.

Still, I would save several weeks or a couple of months or more worth of papers at a time. There was always some article that I wanted to read or something I thought I was missing, I guess.

But, as I slowly turned this thing around -- I mean turned around my hoarding/saving mentalitly into a more normal state of affairs -- I began to realize that:

(1) I simply do not have time to read all the newspapers I was saving. That goes for magazines and catalogs, too. Nor do I really have a desire to. I just thought I wanted to do that. Frankly, now, I would rather be doing other things. Like enjoying time with my kids or being productive in some other way. Mornings and lunchtimes are good times to read newspapers.

(2) With the prevelance and accessability of the internet, you can find almost anything you want by logging onto a computer.

(3) The newspapers and other printed material could potentially become a fire hazard or at least hasten a fire along should one start.

Just some thoughts on saving printed material en masse.
Back to top Go down
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Information Hoarding Empty
PostSubject: More newspapers   Information Hoarding EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 1:37 pm

Oh, I forgot to add:

We take 2 major metropolitan newspapers daily and weekends. Plus all the freebie local papers, too! So, we have alot coming in.

How often do I purge it now?

Once a week.

I have a decorative container that I keep them in during the week so that they don't pile up all over the house. Then, on trash night, out they go.

Occaisionally, but rarely, I may save a paper here and there. If there is something I have to clip, such as an obit (fortunately, pretty rare!) I do that and put it in a special box.

I don't even look at recipes! I have about a bazillion cookbooks anyway! :)
Back to top Go down

Information Hoarding
Page 1 of 1