Connecting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connecting

Welcome to the HelpingHoarders.com discussion forums.
A non-judgemental community for support and sharing

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  HH Main SiteHH Main Site  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Has Anyone Else Experienced Loss or Trauma and How has That Affected Hoarding?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Has Anyone Else Experienced Loss or Trauma and How has That Affected Hoarding? Empty
PostSubject: Has Anyone Else Experienced Loss or Trauma and How has That Affected Hoarding?   Has Anyone Else Experienced Loss or Trauma and How has That Affected Hoarding? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Perhaps I should start a poll here, but I was curious as to whether or not anyone else had experienced any kind of loss or trauma and how that has affected or not affected thier inclination to save or shop. I hate the word hoarding! It remindes me of a squirrel hoarding nuts for winter, but i guess that in some ways it is like that.

I guess my trauma / grief is that I have a handicapped child who at age 8 is, in some ways, like a 2 year old. He is not potty trained, he cannot do much for himself in terms of self care, and he will always be mentally handicapped. In some ways, he was one of the reasons that my saving / shopping intensified (that and some others that may not apply to this topic), but he is also one of the reasons that I was able to pull myself out of it.

In addition to realising how my behavior was affecting my kids, I also came to realize -- through him -- that nothing is perfect. Nothing will ever be perfect, and it is ok if there is a crumb on his cheek or that he cannot write his name. He truely is a sweet boy who loves unconditionally. In fact, I have had friends remark that "well, there is a silver lining -- you will always have that unconditional love" when he comes up to give me a kiss. He has taught me so many things, and I am very grateful to have him in my life, but at the same time it is very difficult.

Even though I consider myself in recovery from my saving/shopping addiction, I struggle almost every day and would love to have some other people to share stories and support! If you are reading this and want to join in, please join me in the journey!!
Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Else Experienced Loss or Trauma and How has That Affected Hoarding?
Page 1 of 1