Connecting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connecting

Welcome to the HelpingHoarders.com discussion forums.
A non-judgemental community for support and sharing

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  HH Main SiteHH Main Site  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Anthropomorphism

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Anthropomorphism Empty
PostSubject: Anthropomorphism   Anthropomorphism EmptyTue Jan 22, 2008 11:54 am

Anthropomorphism
The ascription of human characteristics to things not human.
Source:
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?anthropomorphism

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of uniquely human characteristics and qualities to nonhuman beings, inanimate
objects, or natural or supernatural phenomena. Animals, forces of nature, and unseen or unknown sources of chance are frequent subjects of anthropomorphous. The term is derived from two Greek words, ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos), meaning human, and μορφή (morphē), meaning shape or form. The suffix '-ism' originates from the morpheme -ισμός or -ισμα in the Greek language.

It is a common and seemingly natural tendency for humans to perceive inanimate objects as having human characteristics, one which some suggest provides a window into the way in which humans perceive themselves. Common examples of this tendency include naming cars or begging machines to work.
-Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

Further Reading:

Anthropomorphishm.org
http://anthropomorphism.org/index.html
Anthropomorphism... attribution of human qualities to nonhumans.

Perceiving Life
http://anthropomorphism.org/psychology1.html

Perceiving humanlikeness
http://anthropomorphism.org/psychology2.html
========

Does this apply to how you feel?
Do you have any tips or suggestions for others?
Back to top Go down
http://helpinghoarders.com
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Anthropomorphism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthropomorphism   Anthropomorphism EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 6:36 pm

Wow, this is a big stumbling block for me! Thank you so much for posting these links and information, and even having a separate category to address it.

When we think that things have feelings then it makes it harder to be dispassionate about them! This, in turn, makes it really difficult to get rid of them or even pass them along to others.

I was raised to have anamorphic thoughts about things....some of which I have posted on another thread:

--eat that last piece of food, it's so lonely there all by itself -- or -- that piece of food will feel left out if you don't eat it

--let's put some clothes on the doll, or it will get cold -- or -- the doll will be sad if you mistreat it

--comments were made about old, tumble down houses about how sad it was, 'it is just terrible' or nobody 'took care of them'

Even the ways my folks demonstrated how to care for things, to treat them "kindly" and "with respect". I cannot tell you how many times I heard the phrase "take care of your things" in some form or another. I am not suggesting that belongings be mistreated, but the wording implies that the things have feelings.

Perhaps more than the words was the undue emphasis on the stewardship and treatment of the things.

And yet, one of the things that I used to get in trouble for as a kid was saying "I love" such and such. My mom would constantly correct me if I said "I love the color yellow" or "I love ham". She would tell me that you can't love something that isn't alive, you can only "like" it. Talk about a mixed message!!! Or, perhaps she was really talking to herself? Hmmm....

But apart from the actual words used, it is often the tone of voice that conveys these messages: the sort of lamenting, sad, mournful tone when talking about an old home, for example. If one gets torn down, it's "just sad", said with a real sad tone and expression on the face. Or, the caring, loving tone used when talking about a doll. Much of it is subtle and not stated outright, but in the actions and tone of voice used.

So, parents, if you are reading this....don't go overboard with the attaching of human characteristics to inanimate objects. If the child has a favorite or two, fine, and if you are role playing with the child to teach them such as playing with dolls -- fine. But, to make broad statements and have the child feel that the underlying message is one of equating things with people then that is a mistake!
Back to top Go down
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Anthropomorphism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthropomorphism   Anthropomorphism EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am

More anthromorphism.....

My mom is a so-called "clean hoarder", not dirty at all, but has lots of stuff. She still has many of our childhood things....which she will pass along to us someday. (someday...)

I hope I haven't shared this elsewhere on the site, I haven't posted in a while and can't remember what I have and haven't shared.

She cleaned out a cabinet a few months ago.

Found in said cabinet:

A large box of crayons, including all broken and very small pieces, that we used a children. "They're still good!"

Kiln fired projects made by either my brother or I.

A box of "animal erasers" that we used to buy at the school store. They don't have school stores anymore where we live, but they did when I was s kid. I can remember standing at the school store window buying those erasers like it was yesterday.

It was really fun to see them, and relive some of the memories. But, beyond a very few, I could not remember which ones belonged to my brother or me. This greatly disturbed mom. She could not believe that I could not remember which ones were mine. "You don't remember that?" She couldn't get past the fact that I do not remember, nor do I care. I think the fact that I did not care actually bothered her more than the fact that I did not remember which ones were mine. This also seems to be a central 'hoarding' theme...the fear of not remembering. Lest we forget, we must keep everything as a reminder.

None of the erasers were actually used, as we used them as toys rather than for their intended purpose. Most in very good condition. Some had ripped off limbs which, of course, were also in the box. She told me that she intended to clean them up so that they weren't so dirty, and had plans to glue back the detached limbs. The way she was looking at them and commenting was very frightening to me....."they're so pretty....look at it's sweet face". Eeek! It was almost as if they were alive.

When she first opened the box, I was thinking I would take a few home but then realized that she really didn't want me to. So, without anxiety or remorse, I left them there....in her care....so that she could fix them up and not have the anxiety of them being gone.

I realized a few things after this incident. They are:

-- When I am elderly and my remaining time here on earth is short....I do not want to be spending my time obsessing about and cleaning old things!

-- It is ok to not remember every little thing that was yours. It's ok to not remember every little thing.

-- Anthromorphism is a bad, bad thing.

-- It's ok that all things are not fixed and made "right".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anthropomorphism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthropomorphism   Anthropomorphism Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthropomorphism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Connecting :: Discussion Areas For Those Who Save :: Overcoming Obstacles :: Personalizing Objects: Experiences & Suggestions-
Jump to: