Connecting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Connecting

Welcome to the HelpingHoarders.com discussion forums.
A non-judgemental community for support and sharing

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  HH Main SiteHH Main Site  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer Empty
PostSubject: Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer   Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 am

Change is hard. When you change, sometimes other people don't like it. They are used to you being a certain way. Maybe they are used to you being their dumping ground for some of their own compulsive purchases? Hmmm....Maybe they know you can't say 'no'.

Don't misunderstand, I am not blaming others. But, sometimes others aren't helpful, especially when you are trying to affect a positive change in your own life and for some reason that invalidates or is an insult to them about their own lifestyle. Hmmm...especially if those others are hoarders/clutterers as well. That's when things get tricky.

That's when you have to learn the word 'no'.

So, in the spirit of "change", here are some things not to say to a recoverying shopaholic/hoarder/saver/clutterer:

If we're trying to decide whether or not to get rid of something, don't say "I'd save that, you might need it someday!"

"You're getting rid of that? It's perfectly good!"

"You're getting rid of that? They don't make them like that anymore."

"You're getting rid of that? It was made in the U.S.A.".

"You're getting rid of that? You spent a lot of money on it".

"You're getting rid of that? Don't you think that so-and-so might like it someday?"

"You don't want one of those? They're free!"

"I am afraid to give my things to so-and-so, I know they will pass it along....so I am going to give it to you [because I know you won't get rid of it]".

"You can always sell it on ebay!"

"What was in all those empty buckets?", followed by an upbraiding.
Back to top Go down
gopats

gopats

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer   Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:01 am

Oh, yeah, one more:

"You sure do waste a lot of -----".
Back to top Go down

Things Not to Say to a Recovering Hoarder/Clutterer
Page 1 of 1